Published: 2019-10-01 00:24:29 | Expires: 2019-10-27
Company: Biology Centre of the CAS – Institute of Hydrobiology
City: České Budějovice
Employer: Academy of Sciences
Categories: IN – Informatics
Type: Full time
Required education: mgr
The Institute of Hydrobiology BC CAS (IHB, www.hbu.cas.cz ) closely connected with the Faculty of Sciences, University of South Bohemia in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic, is seeking a highly motivated team member for the position of database developer and manager, to provide support in the development and maintenance of ecological databases. Work will be focused on the creation and improvement of existing databases and (meta) data curation. The successful candidate should also act as a bridge between existing IT department and scientific staff. The position is highly suitable for a person who appreciates creative work and novel challenges.
The person will be responsible for:
- Maintenance and development of databases
- Design and implementation of data ingestion pipelines
- Data quality control
- Development of basic graphical user interfaces for data access
- Management of computational server (Debian)
Key qualifications, skills and experience required:
- Proven experience with data curation
- Proficiency in Structured Query Language (SQL) including PostGIS
- Knowledge of programming language and environment
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Enthusiastic about working in a dynamic and constantly evolving environment
- Good knowledge of English
Other preferred qualifications:
- Graduate degree from a recognized university in computer science, statistics, IT, mathematics or ecology with a strong quantitative component
- Advanced in work on Linux based OS
- Knowledge of Git or similar code versioning tool
- Knowledge of the R/Python programming language and environment
- Knowledge of ecological metadata standards and databases, e.g. EML, LTER, KNB, …
- Adherence of FAIR data principles
IHB is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, uniformed services, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
- The opportunity to participate in unique scientific projects
- Competitive and motivating salary
- Start-up money will be provided to cover equipment and travel costs
- Professional growth
- 5 weeks of holiday
- friendly international working environment
- subsidized lunch
- support of leisure time activities
- and much more!
Institute and location information:
IHB carries out research in various freshwater ecosystems with main emphasis on man-made reservoirs. Labs and teams at IHB cover all aspects of freshwater ecosystems ranging from water chemistry to biochemistry, bacteria, protozoans, algae, zooplankton, fish and their predators (more info: http://www.hbu.cas.cz). The campus of the University of South Bohemia and the Biology Centre CAS represents international working environment with high quality of professional and cultural life.
Ceske Budejovice, is a beautiful historical town, situated ca. 150 km south of Prague with 100,000 inhabitants. It has a unique relaxed atmosphere with wonderful natural and historical sights in the vicinity. Both the town and the surrounding countryside provide numerous opportunities for research and leisure activities.
Foreign applicants will receive full support in transferring to the Czech Republic. Knowledge of Czech is not required but the successful applicant will be offered support to take up language courses and reach a basic level of proficiency.
The position is initially for a two-year period with a possibility for extension based on funding circumstances. The position also requires a three-month probation period.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should email the following documents to the director of IHB, Prof. Jan Kubečka (firstname.lastname@example.org), by Sunday Oct. 27nd 2019 at 12pm Central European Time:
1) Cover letter outlining your skills and interest in the position
2) CV including full publication list
3) Copies of relevant diplomas
4) Contact details for 3 references