Published: 2020-09-04 15:32:22 | Expires: 2020-10-16
Company: Fakulta aplikovaných věd ZČU
Employer: Vysoká škola
Categories: I – Informatika
Postdoc position in Natural language processing
A call for the position of Postdoctoral Researcher in natural language processing (NLP) is open at the NTIS Research center and Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Faculty of Applied Sciences of the University of West Bohemia, located in Pilsen, Czech Republic.
Description of the work position:
The focus of the position is on the design and development of multi-lingual methods based on statistical processing or on deep neural networks. Selected researcher will strengthen the NLP (http://nlp.kiv.zcu.cz/) group of the NTIS research centre (http://ntis.zcu.cz/en/), strongly connected with the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (https://www.kiv.zcu.cz/en/), at the Faculty of Applied Sciences (https://fav.zcu.cz/en/) of the University of West Bohemia (https://www.zcu.cz/en/) in Pilsen. Their main task will be to carry out innovative research under the guidance of a mentor, which will include the publication of R&D results in prestigious impact journals, participation on conferences, and involvement in both national and international research projects. Besides that, they will be responsible for self-educating and for sharing the obtained knowledge with other team members and students of doctoral and master study levels.
- PhD in Computer Science, Natural language processing, Computational linguistics or related,
- strong background in statistical, graphical and neural models for natural language processing with a proven recent publication record; prior experience with Czech language, multi-lingual approaches, baselines in computer vision and pytorch/keras frameworks are advantageous,
- good knowledge of English (at least at the C1 level according to CEFRL),
- proficiency with at least one high-level programming language (python is an advantage),
- good ability to communicate effectively and collaborate within a team environment.
Terms of contract:
This is a full time (40 hours/week) fixed term position for the period of 24 months with possible extension, or by mutual agreement, with a probation period of 3 months. Extension of the contract or transition to a tenure-track position may be offered before the end of contract, based on evaluation according to the Career track guidelines of the Department.
Gross monthly salary: 40 000 CZK (approx. 1600 EUR). Annual performance bonus up to two-months’ salary plus other bonuses according to the Motivation system of the Department. Relocation expenses covered up to 20 000 CZK.
Expected commencement of work: January 1, 2021 or by mutual agreement.
Required Form of the Applicant’s Application:
- a PDF document consisting of a cover letter (including your motivation), a short (2 pages max) structured curriculum vitae, a copy of the documents proving achieved education (PhD diploma or its equivalent), and a chronologically ordered list of publications being indexed in WoS or SCOPUS databases and published in the recent 5 years,
- and an electronic copy of the PhD thesis.
Applications should be sent, no later than October 16, 2020, by e-mail to:
Mgr. Markéta Včalová, e-mail: email@example.com
For informal enquiries please contact Assoc. Prof. Pavel Král, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin on October 17, 2020 and will end by the end of October. Online and/or on-site interview may be required during the review process. The announcer reserves the right to leave the position unfilled.
About the employer:
The Faculty of Applied Sciences offers a lively and friendly work environment in recently built facilities. Pilsen is the fourth largest city in the Czech Republic and an important industrial, commercial, cultural, and administrative centre situated on a route linking Prague and Germany. It has a vibrant cultural and sports scene, many tourist attractions including the famous Pilsner Urquell brewery, and offers pleasant recreational possibilities in the surrounding countryside. Living costs in Pilsen including housing are around approx. 1000 EUR / month, lower in comparison with major cities in Europe (see e.g., https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Plzen). The Czech Republic, located in the heart of Europe, is considered one of the world’s safest countries, has been rated as the #1 country for women to work, has a long tradition of quality education, diverse cultural opportunities and fascinating history.