Published: 2020-09-09 22:52:56 | Expires: 2020-10-31
Company: Ústav pro výzkum a aplikace fuzzy modelování OU
Employer: Vysoká škola
Categories: B – Fyzika a matematika
Director of the Institute for Research and Applications of Fuzzy Modeling
Expected start date:
- January 2021, or by agreement
- Ostrava, Czech Republic
University of Ostrava is seeking to appoint a Director of the Institute for Research and Applications of Fuzzy Modeling to lead, manage and support excellence in this research field. Institute for Research and Applications of Fuzzy Modeling is focused on theoretical research and practical development of various methods of fuzzy modelling. The institute was established at the University of Ostrava in September 1996 with the support of the Ministry of Education of the Czech Republic. The results of this institute have significantly contributed to the state of the art of soft computing methods, namely to the theory of mathematical fuzzy logic and the related algebraic functions, fuzzy approximation, general theory of fuzzy IF-THEN rules, general theory of linguistic meaning, approximate reasoning, and multi-criteria decision-making.
The Director of the Institute is a senior University manager with both institutional and local responsibility. As such he/she is accountable for:
- The academic leadership of the Institute ensuring its objectives are aligned with the University strategy.
- The effective governance and management of the Institute to ensure its performance continually improves.
Leadership and Strategic Direction
- Develop and encourage a shared vision for the future direction, goals and priorities of the unit, aligned with the University mission and in the context of the University and other academic units;
- Prepare the Institute‘s strategic and operational plans to achieve its strategic direction and goals in the context of the University strategy;
- Maintain and enhance the academic reputation of the Institute;
- Implement quality assurance and improvement procedures to enhance all aspects of Institute’s activities, including both postgraduate and undergraduate student experience;
- Work with Rector and Deans to foster the development of outstanding research, research training and academic programmes;
- Monitor and evaluate the Institute’s research, engagement and teaching activities in relation to comparable units both within and outside the University.
General Academic Management
- Manage, administer and foster excellence in the Institute’s research;
- Design and implement suitable management structures and portfolios for the unit;
- Ensure that the unit complies with the University’s policies and meets its legal and statutory obligations; including employment, safety and financial procedures and regulations;
- Establish and maintain communication with appropriate committees, boards, fora and networks within the University;
- Represent the Institute’s interests in the University, professional, industry and government contexts;
- Initiate, maintain and strengthen links between the Institute and other academic units and relevant professional and industry bodies and community.
- Take responsibility for management of all staff in the Institute;
- Prepare an annual HR plan for the unit, to include succession planning and opportunities for international work;
- Play a major role in the recruitment, selection and induction of senior staff, utilising a targeted recruitment approach where appropriate to appoint academic staff (and potential leaders) of the highest calibre;
- Facilitate and promote effective communication and positive morale within the Institute;
- Take responsibility for the completion of the annual workload allocation, administrative and portfolio management duties in an equitable manner, taking into account where possible the wishes and agreed career development plans of individual staff members within the context of the strategic plan for the Institute;
- Monitor the performance of allocated duties;
- Take responsibility for performance management and development of all Institute staff. Ensure that Performance and Development Review takes place and appropriate objectives, targets and milestones are set;
- Manage and, as far as possible, resolve conflicts and grievances using appropriate procedures.
Financial and Infrastructure Management
- Oversee the preparation of the Institute budget and monitor expenditure and income against the budget;
- Engage in appropriate budget forecasting and staffing and infrastructure planning;
- Maximise opportunities for generating income from appropriate sources outside the Institute;
- Where appropriate, commercialise research outcomes and intellectual property.
Key Working Relationships
- Responsible to the Rector of the University and Scientific Board;
- Also has a significant relationship with Vice-Rector for Research Activities and Deans of other Faculties.
- Competences on researcher level R4 – for definition see https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/europe/career-development/training-researchers/research-profiles-descriptors
- PhD degree in mathematics or informatics;
- Knowledge of fuzzy mathematics, fuzzy logic or fuzzy modeling;
- At least ten years of experience in research including international research background proven by:
- publications in high-impact peer-reviewed journals;
- experiences with obtaining and managing large international research projects (principal investigator, co-principal investigator);
- Experience with supervision of students’ research, or mentoring junior researchers;
- A knowledge of employment regulations and economical principles in university management;
- English language competence (B2 – C1, advanced level), a competence in another world language is an advantage;
- Experience in knowledge and technology transfer and applied research and establishing industrial partnerships;
- Experience in organization of seminars, workshops and international conferences
- Leadership experience (experience with research teams’ leadership);
- Organizational skills;
- Moral and civil integrity;
- Fulfilment of requirements to perform this job position pursuant the Act No. 451/1991 Coll. (the Act is applicable only to Czech citizens born before December 1, 1971; these citizens need to present the lustration certificate or declaration on honour).
- 30 days of paid leave;
- 5 sick days (after trial period);
- Meal allowance CZK 110 / day, participation of the employee is CZK 50 / day;
- Home office;
- Employment relationship based on the appointment for three years with the possibility of prolongation.
- Concept (key points) of a prospective development strategy of the Institute;
- CV with an overview of work/research experience and with a detailed description of acquired experience in academic field, i.e.:
- research focus and area
- personal research career
- summarizing information on publication activities (including citations) and a list of publications (including monographs, chapters in monographs, research articles and significant international conference papers)
- information on grants (being) solved;
- experience in knowledge and technology transfer and applied research;
- overview of mentoring experience (PhD students and junior researchers);
- list of organized (or co-organized) research seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Copies of documents proving education and academic degrees;
- Brief references from two eminent researchers in the field, who are not members of the Institute;
- Declaration on honour and lustration certificate pursuant the Act No. 451/1991 Coll. (the Act is applicable only to Czech citizens born before December 1, 1971
Please send the above mentioned documents in a written form by 31 October 2020 to the address mentioned below – HR Department of the University of Ostrava with the title “Director of IRAFM / ŘEDITEL ÚVAFM“.
- 31. 10. 2020 – Deadline for application
- November 2020 – Auditions by the Selection Committee
- January 2021 or by agreement – appointment to the position
Rector reserves the right to cancel the selection procedure or to decide not to accept any of the applications without stating the grounds for this decision.
ALL APPLICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT ARE CONSIDERED STRICTLY ON THE BASIS OF MERIT.
Ing. Jana Kuchařová
vedoucí oddělení pro řízení lidských zdrojů
702 00 Ostrava