Published: 2021-01-21 23:12:25 | Expires: 2021-03-31
Company: Přírodovědecká fakulta MU
Employer: Vysoká škola
Categories: AC – Archeologie, antropologie, etnologie
Workplace: Department of Anthropology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: permanent position with 3-year contract, academic (equivalent to tenure-track position)
Working Hours: 1.0 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours a week).
Expected Start Date: September 1, 2021 or negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 1
Application Deadline: March 31, 2021
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with nine faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Anthropology at the Faculty of Science MU is an academic, research and education-oriented institution which focuses on the study of interactions between biological, social and cultural aspects of humankind. We are a modern institution oriented on current trends in education, offering Bachelor’s, Master’s and Ph.D. degrees, consistently with more than a hundred of students in the undergraduate programs and currently with fifteen students in the Ph.D. program. The department’s labs are equipped with cutting-edge technologies for 3D data acquisition of human body morphology and advanced biological data processing. In addition, advanced evaluation of nutritional status and other somatic characteristics as well as assessment of prehistorical and historical skeletal remains is conducted in our facilities utilizing state-of-the-art equipment. Currently, the Department of Anthropology includes 17 faculty members and researchers who are involved in teaching, conducting research and promoting science.
The candidate for the position is expected to carry out pedagogical and creative tasks (scientific, research & development, innovative and others) in accordance with mission of the Faculty, activities of the department and ongoing research projects. He or she is expected to be involved in teaching and development of study programmes, research & development, promoting of science & dissemination of research results, and to participate in academic authorities and other bodies. He or she is also expected to carry out additional administrative and operational activities related to the type of work and departmental duties, as per instructions of the direct superior.
- To teach current courses (introductory to specialty) in social and cultural anthropology for the undergraduate and graduate program (including “History of Anthropology”, “Cultures of Ancient World”, “Marriage, Sexuality and Society”, “Human Ethnic Diversity”).
- To conduct research falling under the scope of one or more of these topics: kinship, family, sexuality and mating, aggressiveness, reciprocity, life-history, wider society, economy and ecology in the context of civilization, with applications to relevant data from ancient, or pre-modern or modern/recent human societies.
- To advise/mentor students, to participate in academic and program-related committees, and to participate in traditional academic functions.
- To seek external funding for his/her own research activities in the field of social and cultural anthropology.
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- Degree (Master’s and Ph.D. degrees or equivalent degrees) in Anthropology or other closely related fields from an accredited institution.
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the field of social and cultural anthropology; training in biological anthropology will be viewed as an advantage.
- Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis in the field of social and cultural anthropology.
- Scholarly achievement which may include peer-reviewed and other publications (books, monographs, applied research reports).
- Experience with extramural grants and contracts, and recognition within his or her profession and/discipline.
- Evidence of quality instruction, curriculum design, and supervision of student projects where appropriate.
- Evidence of service relevant to the university, academic profession, and/or community.
- Good communication skills, fluency in English (spoken and written, including academic writing) is required. The knowledge/understanding of Czech language is preferred but not excluding.
The applicant should have:
- at least 5 years of combined professional experience both at national and/or international level, as a biological or social anthropologist,
- familiarity with empirical research in the field of social and cultural anthropology.
- experience in or on academic circles (in the position of Assistant Professor).
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Various employee benefits such as 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, contribution to lunches in canteens of MU or meal vouchers, discounted language courses, discount in the university cinema, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city
- Support with your relocation to Brno by our International Staff Office
The application shall be submitted online by March 31, 2021 via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section here).
The candidate shall provide the following:
- CV (including a list of important publications)
- Cover letter describing candidate’s accomplishments and experience
- Research statement
- Names and contact details of at least 2 professional reference letters.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or MS Teams interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!